Saturday, May 1, 2010


5/1  Looking back over the last few days I can't believe I'm home.  Only three days ago 4/28 I was talking to Dr Wac who wanted to share with  what they finally found.  I had my kids Megs, Brian, Christina, Emory, and Ali with me, and we were light hearted sitting in my cave (couldn't handle light or loud noise) when I got the news.  I always thought if I heard a doctor say you have a life threatening illness (let alone two) I would crumble and dissolve into a puddle of tears and "Poor Me's" instead I was relieved they found out what was causing the all the pain I was going through. 
Unfortunately it was my husbands Robs birthday and he didn't take the news so lighthearted.  When the kids left, Rob and I snuggled in my hospital bed watching TV until it was time for him to go home.  I had the drugs, the nurses, and the doctors who I literally trusted with my life to support me, Rob was working on an important project at work and spending many hours in the hospital with me, to say the least he was pushing it hard.
The next morning I woke to light in the room feeling better than I had in weeks, the heparin was working magic for me.  I got up and made myself a cup of tea, and within an hour the headache and nausea was back and I cried as I closed the curtains.  It was like a gift that had been taken away from you.  I took the pain pills and spent the day trying my best to recapture my good mood.  That night Rob spent the night with me and having him close to me made me feel closer to normal.  Even with the nurses coming and going, and the hospital noises his stealing blankets was normal and comforting.  I highly recommend family get in bed together in the hospital, the snuggling is the most therapeutic medicine I know of!
4/30 I woke to sunshine and feeling great.  No pain killers, and high spirits.  Dr.Wac and the team of doctors decided to let me go.  I had to learn to give myself shots and had a list of five doctors to follow up with as well as a strict medicine schedule and diet.  Soon euphoria turned to fear.
I had left hospitals twice and three times returned in agony.  My body did not like leaving too much.  I was a little nauseous, and felt the anxiety of coming home.  When I got home I took a nap, and the family made sloppy Joe's and tater tots for dinner.  What could be more normal then comfort food?
Waking up this morning to the sounds of the house and family moving around was soothing.  I am enjoying our views which I didn't think I would ever be able to enjoy again.  I know there is much more to come in my healing but today is a good day.


  1. My thoughts are with you. Glad to hear that you are home and today is a good day :-)

  2. Tina, I am so happy they figured out what is wrong but can't imagine going through it myself. You are very strong and lucky to have all of your family. You are in my thoughts and am glad you created this blog. I have become a follower and will keep reading your updates. I love you and will keep you in my thoughts. Keep having those good days!! :-)

  3. I am so sorry you are having to face this, but I am not at all surprised to see you facing it so bravely. I want to see you healthy, happy and on the river. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to be supportive of you or Rob.